Many research studies have been done around the world since the 1950s on the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids. These essential Omega-3 long chain fatty acids include ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). From the research studies, EPA and DHA have been proven to offer a multitude of health benefits for people of all ages.
In this blog post, we will focus our attention towards the differences between EPA and DHA in fish oil powders, EPA and DHA benefits during different life stages, as well as the advantages of NovoOmega® Omega-3 fish based powder.
It is a known fact that humans cannot produce EPA or DHA. For this reason, Omega-3 fatty acids must be obtained from another source: food. The primary dietary sources of Omega-3 fatty acids are cold water fish such as salmon, mackerels, halibut, anchovies and herring, as well as plant oils. Evolutionary assessments suggest that most individuals in western countries do not consume enough fish, and thus do not get sufficient levels of Omega-3 fatty acids. Although EPA and DHA are both types of essential long chain fatty acids, they have significant differences.
Benefits of EPA
EPA, which stands for eicosapentaenoic acid, has an important role within the cardiovascular system by reducing cellular inflammation and blood clots. EPA inhibits an enzyme called delta-5-desaturase (D5D) which makes arachidonic acid (AA), an Omega-6 fatty acid. Higher levels of EPA equal lower levels of AA, resulting in decreased production of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids such as prostaglandins, leukotrienes and thromboxane.
In addition to decreasing production of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids, EPA plays an important role in preventing the buildup of plaque in arteries and improving blood flow.
From various clinical studies, EPA has been proven to boost the immune system by increasing the actions of major immune cells such as T cells and B cells. Additionally, EPA supplementation has been shown to reduce rheumatoid arthritis by reducing plaque buildup in the arteries of legs, as well as suppressing TNF alpha and IL-1B.
Benefits of DHA
DHA, which stands for docosahexaenoic acid, has a strong role in neural development and function. While EPA contains 5 double bonds and 20 carbons, DHA contains 6 double bonds and 22 carbons.
Since DHA is larger compared to EPA, it takes up more room in the membrane, and thus helps make the fluid in the membrane more fluid. Membrane fluidity is critical for synaptic function because it helps increase signal transmissions from the membrane to the nerve cells.
By increasing membrane fluidity, DHA breaks up the lipid rafts in the membranes, thus making it difficult for cancer cells to grow and spread throughout the body. Another benefit of DHA's large size is that it reduces the likelihood of low density lipoproteins, which are the bad types of cholesterol associated with heart disease, from entering muscle cells.
DHA supplementation is also necessary for brain and eye development, especially in fetal tissues, as well as promoting cell turnover. In adults, 60% of the brain is fat, with 20% of that fat as the omega-3 essential fatty acid, DHA. Research has shown that brain cells with enough levels of Omega-3 are able to help enhance disposition, focus and behavior, while supporting clear thinking and memory.
EPA and DHA For All Types of Life Stages:
EPA and DHA are both essential for infants all the way to seniors. Here is a table summarizing the key benefits for each life stage.
Pregnant Women and Infants: Pregnant women who take EPA and DHA have offspring with improved developmental outcomes. Infants usually cannot synthesize enough DHA on their own. Therefore, infant formulas should be supplemented with DHA and EPA to help with visual and neurological development.
Children and Teens: EPA and DHA in Children and teens are important for a well-balanced diet, as well as promoting brain and nervous system development.
Adults and Seniors: Both adults and seniors need to consume enough EPA and DHA to maintain cardiovascular health and cognitive function, as well as prevent inflammatory diseases and neuropsychiatric diseases.
How much EPA + DHA to take Daily?
Source: Oregon State
Advantages of NovoOmega's® Omega-3 F-30 Powder
When it comes to Omega-3 fish based powder, how do you know which one to use? We all want powders that are rich in EPA + DHA with high bioavailability, have decreased levels of oxidation and smell, and are made from high quality standards. Novotech Nutraceuticals' NovoOmega® Omega-3 powder meets or exceeds the requirements. Here are some reasons why you should choose NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 fish based Powder:
- High Quality Standards: As a cGMP facility located in Ventura, California, strict quality standards are upheld for every lot every single day. Our trained workers are specifically and carefully trained to perform quality checks at each required stage.
- Patented: NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 powder's manufacturing process is patented. Specifically, the patent is for the conversion of 100% fish oil into 100% powder, or calcium metal salts. As solids, calcium salts are more resistant to oxidation, are readily digestible and exhibit little fishy smell or taste.
- Purity: Absolutely no fillers or excipients are used in the manufacturing process, resulting in one of the cleanest and purest Omega-3 fish based powders on the market.
- High EPA + DHA: NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 powder uses 100% fish oil into every load. With a state of the art manufacturing process, 100% of the fish oil gets converted into 100% powder. This results in the same amount of EPA and DHA in the oil as powder. Other companies, on the other hand, use only about 50% - 60% fish oil for each load, and add excipients and fillers to microencapsulate the Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Increased Levels of Bio-availability and Absorption: NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 is in the triglyceride (TG) form, which has been proven to be 70% more bio-available and absorbable than the ethyl ester form.
- Pre-digested: NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 powder is the ONLY Omega-3 fish based powder on the market that is pre-digested. Following consumption, triglycerides of Omega-3 fatty acids are hydrolyzed, or broken down, into free Omega-3 fatty acids and glycerin by the stomach and pancreatic juices. There are certain individuals that are unable to break down the Omega-3 fatty acid triglycerides due to ineffective enzyme production. NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 fish based powder differs from other Omega-3 powders in that it is essentially "pre-digested." This basically means that NovoOmega® Omega-3 powder is already hydrolyzed, thus making it easier for all individuals to absorb it in their bodies.
- No Proteins or Carbohydrates: Another unique point is that there are no carbohydrates or proteins. Thus, it most likely will not cause adverse allergenic reactions.
- Sustainability: The anchovy fish oil is sustainably sourced from Peru. The anchovies are wild caught and fishermen follow measures to catch only the large fish, while respecting the natural ecosystem, and leaving enough marine resources for future generations.
- Non-Microencapsulated: Microencapsulation is one of the most common ways to protect Omega-3 fatty acids from being attacked by oxygen. Microencapsulation, while being an effective method of protection, actually reduces the beneficial percentage content of EPA and DHA.
- Transparency: Every single lot of Omega-3 F-30 is sent to 3rd party labs for testing to ensure the highest quality standards. In addition to sending samples to 3rd party labs, our very own highly trained in-house laboratory specialists perform testing on physical characteristics including appearance, pH, bulk density, solubility and loss on drying.
- Decreased levels of Oxidation, Smell and Taste: Fish oil, as you may know, is highly susceptible to oxidation. Oxidation leads to the destruction of fish molecules such as alcohols, aldehydes and acids - all of which are smelly. NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 fish powder utilizes state of the art technology, oxidation control, off flavor development and antioxidants to minimize oxidation, fishy smell and taste.
- No Refrigeration Needed: With a longer of shelf life of 2 years, NovoOmega® Omega-3 powder does not even have to refrigerated.
- Easily used in a Variety of Applications: NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 powder can be easily use in tablets, capsules, food, foods, yogurt and much more.
With all the advantages listed, the NovoOmega® Omega-3 F-30 powder is your best choice for fish-based Omega-3 Powder!
- EPA vs DHA in Fish Oil. https://igennus.com/nutrition/omega-3-science/epa-vs-dha/
- Yazdi, Puya. DPA on the Rise: The science behind an emerging omega-3 fatty acid. [Powerpoint Slides]
- Sears, Barry. What are the Real Differences Between EPA and DHA? https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-the-zone/201204/what-are-the-real-differences-between-epa-and-dha
- Root, Julie. Omega-3's Lesser Known Benefit: Boosting your Immunity
- Swanson, Danielle. Block, Robert. Mousa, Shaker. Omega-3 Fatty Acids EPA and DHA: Health Benefits Throughout Life. https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/3/1/1/4557081
- Health Benefits: Meg-3. https://www.meg-3.com/en_KR/health-benefits.html
- Clinical Applications for EPA and DHA: How Much and Which One? [Powerpoint Slides]
- 2011. Background on the Consensus Statements Signed at the Global Omega-3 Summit. [Powerpoint Slides]
- Essential Fatty Acids. https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/other-nutrients/essential-fatty-acids